Chaperones, thank you for helping with the visit to the Sylvania Historical Village! Your role as group leader is very important.
Your group will need your active participation to ensure students are acting in a respectful and safe manner and to enhance student learning during your visit. It is very important that you remain with your assigned students at all times and not let them run ahead or go exploring on their own. Here are a few more tips
- You will be going in and out of buildings during the course of your day. Be sure to dress for the weather and wear comfortable shoes.
- Make sure you introduce yourself to your group of students and find out their names at the start of the day. It will be easier to keep track of them.
- You will be rotating through several stations today. At each station, Village staff will be leading an activity. Your group will have times when they sit and listen to the presenter and other times where they will be up and moving participating in an activity. Your help might be needed to assist with the activity.
- If you need to use a cell phone during the visit, please step outside of the building as to not disrupt the presentation inside.
- Make sure to stay with your group throughout the day. Do not let the students wander by themselves even to use the restroom.
- Due to the historic nature of our buildings, we can only accomodate roughly 28 people seated in the buildings at a time. In some cases, where there are quite a few adults with a group, we may need to ask some of the chaperones to sit outside or in an adjoining building during a session in order to make sure there are spaces for the students.
- Smoking is not permitted on the grounds.
- Bathrooms are located at the entrance to the Historical Village.
- Please help us by disposing of trash and cleaning up messes following lunch.
Again, thank you for being a group leader. Together we can bring history to life for the students.